One person was killed and 19 injured on Friday when a four-story building collapsed in Casablanca, Moroccan state media and a rescue official said.”A body was pulled from under the rubble and 19 people were injured, six of them seriously,” said the official. State news agency MAP gave a similar toll.
Witnesses said the building that collapsed in the Sbata district of Morocco’s economic capital had a cafe on the ground floor that had been teeming with clients at the time of the accident.
A doctor’s clinic in the building was also full, the witnesses said, adding that the toll could rise.
Footage of the collapsed building was shared on social media networks.
It showed dozens of residents help rescue teams dig through the rubble to find survivors.
Local media reported that the building had initially one floor before three more were added without planning permission.
Casablanca is home to five million people, mano of whom live in hazardous accommodation, including in the city’s sprawling slums.
After a string of building accidents, the housing minister in 2012 said that between 4,000 and 7,000 buildings in the city were at risk of collapse.
Two years later 23 people were killed when three buildings collapsed, in one of the worst disasters to hit Casablanca.
In February last year, a court jailed seven people over their role in the deaths to between two and five years in prison and fined them for “involuntary homicide” and “breaching urban planning codes”.